Sunday 23 March 2014

Sid Latchford memorial TT

Normal Sunday morning again. Up, brekkie, pre-game, get my bottles ready and head out the door. This mornig I was heading to the HHCC sid latchford memorial trophy. A 21.5 mile hilly TT from Great Gaddesden, down to Dagnal, round and up bison, down and accross up the Downs, back down, accross and over to Ivinghoe Beacon, down to Dagnal again and back through to Gaddesden. Tricky route but one we cover regularly wih the club so hopefully nothing too shocking.
So there I was on my way to Hemel when I realised I had forgot my helmet, so turned around and head back home. By the time I reached the start, signed on and pinned my number I didnt really have time to warm up so I'll just prep the bike and have a quick bite to eat. Hmm, where did I put my water? Im sure I did it and had it all ready to go on the counter... on the counter! "Amy? Is my bag in the counter? Are you dressed? Could you do me a favour?"
Speedy Deprez arrived 20 minutes later,  7 minutes before my start. Deffo no time to warm up so off to hq for a pee and line up on the start.
Ooh looky I left a banana in my pocket, I can eat that. Whats this peg? Guess I pulled my jersey off the washing line a bit too quickly. Good job aswell cos that could cost me valuable seconds.
5,4,3,2,1 off I go. Quick burst then just sit on the aero bars (which I only bolted on yesterday) keep it steady and dont blow out too soon.
Afer a mile or so I could hear a rattle from the new bars.  The clamps were onto my bars but the extensions were loose. I had forgotten to tighten them up so now they were rattling around sliding back and forward and generally getting on my tits. Oh well, if I shove them right in they dont rattle but I cant use them either.
By the time I reached the bottom of bison, and started on my way up, I realised I had never been so tired at the BOTTOM of the hill. I dont think ill be breaking any records today.  At the top my first rider passed me, I had towed him all the way up and then he just slid past like a big beefburger, cheeky devil. I knew bison was the worst and the other two are nice and steady so I could keep a steady pace from now on. Downhill I would coast a bit but otherwise no letup. 

For the flat straights I had managed to solve my tt bar issue by jiggling them into position and pulling hard on them to keep them from falling out, come the hills I would jiggle them back in to hold them in place. They only came out once so I'd say success.
I knew at the finish I could give it some beans because the last bit is flat and we had the wind behind us, I'll go over the last little hillock and then give it a bit of welly,  round the next bend for the final attack.
So up the hillock, and start to wind it up and get ready for the attack at the end. before I knew it I was past the end... I hadnt even wound it up yet, oh well at least I'm not dead.
Back at race HQ, I bumped into James (who gave me the optimistic outlook on my not dying situation) our other LBRCC man. He hadn't had much luck either, new equipment and a late night meant a less than 100% on the day. We popped in to the hall to check our times, I was hoping for 1:05 time as It was a hilly course. James managed 1:04:50 (46th of 62) and I posted a 1:00:03 (30th). Well chuffed for the both of us, though a bit miffed about the 3 seconds cos I could have shaved that off if I knew where the finish line was. In any case, plenty of oppertunity to improve on our times and looking forward to next year. Fastest time set was 50:03 so only 10 minutes to find somewhere! 
Sam Williamson at HHCC put on a great event, I cannot explain how fantastic the marshals were, also getting some support and a few cowbells up he hills made it a great day all round.
Back home for a sausage sandwich.

Drawing curtosey of Eleanor Williamson
Photo thanks to Simon Hemmington

No comments:

Post a Comment