Sunday 30 March 2014

You never make the same mistake twice.

Attempt 3.
After last weeks efforts,  I was looking forward to this Saturday's race.
The night before preparations of curry night were replaced by an even less suitable event of a wedding.  I foolishly didn't eat anywhere near as much as I should have done. Combined with a gentle mix of Hoegarden and gin (Not literally) and little sleep, I wasnt feeling exactly chipper.
When I arrived at the bowl, I met up with James for his first race and Simon who was suffering with some sort of lurgy.
The race this week was going clockwise, on the warm up Simon suggested the best place for the final sprint. After a quick bite to eat before the start, we lined up and set off.
Pace started high, higher than the previous weeks anyway. I spent the first 15 minutes or so riht at the back, surges down the bottom and stalls up the incline stared to prove tiring so I made my attempts to bunchnup into the group.
After 20 minutes, I had drank almost half my water. I coudnt rid my thirst and my mouth was sahara dry! I reached into my pocket for a gel to see if that might help, even psychologically.  But my pocket was empty, i had left them in my bag. No bother, I'll manage. The pace steadied after 30 minutes so I was able to settle down a bit. Time went by and not much of interest happened, after a while I realised that James was missing, I assumed he was just behind me or out of sight.  Turns out he punctured half way through so had a rotten start to his racing career.
Simon made a break towards the end, I was mid pack and saw the oppertunity to go with him. One other chap came with us and we gained a few seconds. It didnt last and shortly after the 5 lap board came out.
The group surged and stalled repeatedly around the circuit. A helpful fellow (I imagine seasoned racer) was calling out to the group to keep safe and not squeeze thriugh the gates.

Once the bell went, the group wad still large,  the pace was increasig and most people were clinging on.  There was a breakaway with Toby holding the front, he had done so for the last two laps or so but they were caught on the last lap.
On the bottom straight I moved up the inside to try and consest the sprint. As we rounded the bend to start the incline, the pace ramped up, and wheels were everywhere, I was boxed in, the guy in front must have thought he'd get a better line on the verge, swooped back onto the track and caused me to brake. Shortly after another fellow somehow hit the deck. By this time the group was spread out, I was nowhere near the front so after dodging the chap on the floor, decided to just get finished.
Toby appeared to my side and told me abour his breakaway antics. We crossed the line together to wrap it up in ?th position. Not placed but still upright so cant complain.
Met up with James who told me of his puncture, Simon who had a rough ride due to his lurgy then shot off home.
Next week its the Icknield road club TT. The course would have been a nice loop round our local roads, but now turned into a nasty loop around cheddington thanks to the road works on Hemel road. On top of that I'm first out so its a week of training on the new bars and having a spin around the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment