Sunday 6 April 2014

Someone is ON FIRE!!!

I have tried to put in a bit more practice this week on the bike. The tri-bar disaster from last time will not do. Extra miles on the bars should hopefully allow me to find an efficient position too.
I tried out the TT route on Tuesday,  only one lap but worth doing I think as I hadn't been round that way for a while.  Neil and I went round for a bit of practice the opposite way on Wednesday. So much easier with two, I won't have that luxury on Sunday.
Thursday I was able to ride in to work.  It's a 18.5 mile journey so almost the same as Sundays TT. Hopefully I could get a hour each way at a decent lick, get a taster of the pain.
On the way home,  my bars came loose again so I had to hold them in place all gimpy like. I didn't have allen keys so could only sort it out once I got home. And sure as shit will I tighten them up good and proper like.
Kathy and Al were down this weekend (hello) so I was able to have a good rest before Sunday. A few beers on Friday night and a humongous calzone on Saturday meant I was all carbed up and ready to race. Sunday didn't start quite as well as it could have done because next doors fire alarm started going off at 6am and I was the lucky fellow who was selected to investigate. They have moved out so couldnt see anything or do anything. pah!
Off to the start I go then. Pitstone HQ is only 10 minutes away and then 5 minute ride from there to the start. Once I'm signed in, I had back to the car to suit up and then the heavens open. Its already wet, windy and if this rain holds it's gonna make for a miserable morning. Thankfully it stops after just 5 minutes so now its only wet and windy...
I get to the start line early.  I'm the first out so nobody to line up behind. There is a little stretch of road to warm up on just before and about 25 other people have the same idea as I do lapping the road up and down trying to warm up.
Just before I set off, a guy sat in his car on the start line nearly reverses over the woman doing the countdown.  She didn't bat an eyelid, just said "30 seconds to go"... crazy.
Anyway, off we go. Quick off the line and settle down soon as possible. Conveniently, the main climb is fairly soon after the start, after that its a descent, gentle climb into the wind another descent and then back to Cheddington for another lap.
It was a bit slippery with the rain around some of the turns bit nothing to sketchy. After coming up the road to Wingrave, on the turn I could see my man behind, bloody hell, am I really going that slow?  I can't let it bother me,  if I push too hard now, I might end up dead before the first lap.  On the nasty bastard descent from Wingrave, I could tell he was behind but still want going to change my pace. Just before he came past I heard the nastiest carbon pang from where he hit a pothole,  followed by an angry sigh.  It can't have been too nasty because he did still come past.  He didn't leave me much so I was back on my own steam pretty much straight away, at least I had someone to look at.  He stayed in sight for the rest of the TT so either he went out hard or I went out slow. 
Not long after, the junction at Long Marston approached which I knew was tight,  the marshals kindly pointed which way to go but neglected to tell me that a bloody great big coach was coming the other way leaving 3 inches for me to fit through. Thanks chaps!
Up towards Cheddington,  the wind was behind us as it usually is,  it not too steep either so can keep a good pace up there.  Past the finish line and then it's on to lap 2. Legs are starting to hurt a bit now, and coming up to the Mentmore climb,  once I'm past here, I know I can step it up a bit and hold a decent pace to the finish. I can see some other competitors in the distance and by now I dont need to worry about blowing out so aim to catch them before the next junction,  which thankfully I do.  nearing the finish now and round the Marston junction, without the coach this time. I can still see the guy who passed me. All or nothing now,  I know I won't catch him but I can still give it some beans and go for the finish hard. It's uphill but windy behind (not like that) so can really keep the pressure on the pedals. The last stretch is hard work, just when there is nothing left, you need to try hardest, over the line I'm gasping and legs burn. 
At the end of the road, the marshals try to send me on another lap, piss off. I give them the universal "I'm dead" cut neck sign and they give me a wave and point me back to the start line. I catch up with the other finisher who passed me and have a chat, apparently he did go out too quick, in any case he posted a good time. His wheel is OK after that pothole by the way.
I spot Toby waiting at the start and have a catch up.  its his first ride on the new bike so probably more of a tester ride wish him well and had back to hq for my time.  my time is not yet on the board but the fella starts to write it on.  4... woohoo. Happy days, I dont really care what comes next but could probably guess it'll be as close to 50 as can be. 49:45 goes up swell. Get a cuppa and stick around for a bit. When I look at the board again,  its 49:25! This is getting better. I just lost 20 seconds while getting a brew.
Which one is correct,  who knows? I don't care really,  I'm chuffed either way. 19 miles in under 50 I'll take.
Get home back to our guests and they just finished breakfast, perfect timing or what. The bloody fire alarm is still going of so Amy calls the fire Brigade, who send a massive engine... for a dodgy alarm. Well they couldn't do anything and it's still going of now constantly.  Good luck sleeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment