Saturday 17 May 2014

Recent Activities (Not so Recent)


There have been only a few appearances since our last correspondence.


Week 3 was short and sweet. Race started well, myself and Simon in green but I punctured after 30 minutes.
Week 4 was a tight stretch. Having spent the day in London, I was called back to the office at lunch time and then had to make my way back into London and then back out to Leighton. By the time I got back to the train station, I ran out to my bike, pedalled home like a maniac for a quick grab of my stuff, sling the bike in the boot and zoom off to Milton Keynes. On my way there I saw someone in front of me with a bike in the back. Must be someone doing the 3-4 race, nobody would leave it this late… turns out it was Gareth and he was just a late as I was. Now there are two crazy drivers weaving in and out of traffic, cutting up roundabouts and generally driving like a pair of nutters. As we screeched into the car park at the bowl and ran into the hut, we spotted Neil there for his first race of the year. When we tried to sign in we were sadly informed that we were too late, probably a good job as the race starts at 6:00 and it was 5:57 and I was still in my work clothes.
We hopped up to the start line to see the group off, I watched a few laps then made off for the pub. I later found out that Neil punctured after 15 minutes so back luck start to the season for him. The pub was open though so not a total right-off.

Somewhere in between there I took part in the NORPIP charity bike ride at Silverstone. Essentially, your allowed 3 hours to ride around part of the circuit at whatever pace you feel like, soaking up the lovely surroundings. there were a few other guys from the club too, Gareth M, the two Neils G and B myself and James completed the group. I thought we would start off at a leisurely pace and build up to speed, I think we got a bit carried away and went straight into 25mph laps.
After a while, we picked up James and then Neil who arrived a bit later on. Once on the move, we kept it up with a good strong rotation. We were clearly the fastest group out there and it was obvious to others what we were up to, needless to say, some folks thought they could show us up and come storming past us on the straight, all well and good until they realised they would have to keep that pace for the rest of the night to stay ahead (unlikely). Some more thoughtful guys decided to join our train. Something I was unaware of until about three rotations and caught a glimpse. At one stage we had about 10 other guys on the back. Eventually we realised what was going on and made sure that the tagalongs had their turn on the front. Some were clearly new to the idea and struggled to maintain our pace when they hit the front, others were super helpful and stayed with us for a good while.
Anyway, eventually as it got a bit colder and starting to loose light, we knocked it on the head and rolled around for a few more laps to really enjoy the race circuit.


Back to the bowl… the following two weeks were wet. Actually one week was wet, the other was Super Wet. I don’t like riding in the wet. Not on my new bike. Its clean and nice and I don’t want it getting wet. Also I get wet, which I don’t like too much. The first super wet week was horrible, the track was slippy, the group was small and I didn’t trust anyone including myself to stay upright which meant I was at the back playing catchup for the whole race. Also It was raining so hard that I couldn’t see, and there was a river running round the inside of the track. Horrible. I finished 20th out of 23 I think. Thankfully James loved it. Reminded him of home apparently! Nutter
The week after that was just wet, not super wet. We also had a big crowd of riders in green. Myself and Wilfrid pitched up together, James, Gareth and Neil were there too. A good strong group and hopefully we could do some damage. The track was wet again so I was still a bit nervous about the slippy surface. On in particular was concerning me just before the climb to the finish is an off camber bend and you cant freewheel it cos its at the bottom. Every time you turn the crank, you can feel the back slip and slide. Because of this I spent the race at the back again, no big issue but it did leave me playing catch up once more.  The other guys were doing well, mixing ip up in the middle of the pack, I saw some of the guys go off the front once or twice. Wilfie dropped off the back after a while and we found him later on where he managed to hold on till the end.
After a brief spell at the front at the 5 to go point, I thought I’d be ok to stay up in the group, it wasn’t so and I found myself at the back again. I just don’t have the confidence in the wet. Anyway, last lap came round and pace picked up. It had been fairly quick race so was strung out by the last bend. I had nothing to lose so gave it a bit of effort up towards the finish, passed lots of tired looking folks and crossed the line. Counting the people in front, I had managed to get top 10. Turns out it was ninth so not such a bad day afterall. Toby was there for MK too and placed 5th.
Good fun racing with a group of our team, not quite as dominating as we had hoped but that’s something we can work on for sure.

So this last week I was sin the office and with no hope of getting back to Milton Keynes for the race I thought I would give the Hemel 10 mile TT a go. I have been looking forward to trying it out as their hilly event was so fantastically organised, its right on our doorstep and its practicaly on my way home. I took my bike to work so wouldn’t have to worry about rushing anywhere. I also think I much prefer a TT to circuit racing, nobody to get in your way and its all down to your lungs and legs, no race brain needed!
Signed up, paid my monies and went for a quick warm up spin. I know the course so I knew when I would push, when I could relax a little and where the finish line was!
I was 8th out so had someone to aim for rather than last time being out on my own, sadly I had mr speedy, Luke Clark, behind me who I knew would pass me fairly soon. He’s the guy who shot past me on the Hilly one. so off I went, after a very short period, I caught my minute man which I wasn’t expecting too as he looked the part (just goes to show). About 1/3 way through, I was passed by the guy behind. Not ideal as I was hoping to be a few minutes behind him at least. At this rate I’d be miles behind. Oh well…
So on I went, I didn’t stay too far behind him and I thought if I stay within sight, I can only be 2 minutes at most behind. I went round the roundabout and back up the hill ready to wind it up. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I had an awful cough. This ride didn’t make it any better! By now I had to make a bit more of an effort cos we are on the way home. I did pass a couple more riders before the next roundabout which made me feel I was doing well. Over the final junction and only a few  miles left so pile on a few more coals but leave something for the last little hill finish.
I crossed the line in a roaring rage, and slinked back to the hall to get times. I waited around for everyone to come in, pausing for 3-4 second where I wasn’t coughing my lungs up. After all that I posted a time of 23:26. Over a minute quicker than my previous 10 mile TT of 24:29. It’s a different course so cant take too much from that but more importantly I had set a time for this course to aim for next time. Checking the finishing timesheet, I managed the 5th fastest time of 39 riders. Two minutes behind the fastest rider @ 21:27 and yes it was Mr Clark of TMG Horizon. I don’t feel so bad knowing that.
So there we are. Sorry its so long. Sometimes I forget to care.

No comments:

Post a Comment